Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cleaning Blood Off the Bat: My Thoughts on Facebook's Treatment of the Aurora Tragedy


I have had a full day to gather some thoughts on the Aurora murders.  I have been shaking my head trying to wrap my head around what it takes for a person to decide that someone else no longer gets to live.  Those people were there to have fun at a movie and were met with chaos.  The audacity of anyone to ruin the precious joy it is to experience art with a group of like-minded people by staining it in blood is reprehensible.

I find myself on Facebook a lot when these things happen and, usually, have to run away because the general reaction becomes so idiotic and infuriating that I risk saying something I regret.  Therefore, instead of going on a status posting rampage, I’m just going to blog about what I’ve seen and why it makes me angry.  Feel free to hate me for it, but this is keeping me sane.

“This is why guns should be outlawed/If someone had had a gun, they could have done something about it.”
There’s been a tragedy where freaking children were shot.  Could you wait five minutes before you start using this for your political agenda?  Could you maybe just mourn the tragedy or keep your mouth shut?

“There was a baby and a four year old there.  What kind of mother takes her baby to a midnight show?”
Yep, she was totally asking for a crazed gunman to walk into the theater and murder people.  We should be pressing charges against her for causing this incident.  On a similar note, if that 19 year old hadn’t been illegally drinking beer, she wouldn’t have been drugged.  She practically raped herself.

I’m not saying it’s a good idea to bring any child to a midnight show, particularly if it’s a movie for adults.  In fact, please don’t.  I will hate you for it if I’m in the audience.  However, let’s not talk about the woman who just got shot at with her babies as though she bears responsibility for the tragedy.

Various petitions to get Christian Bale, dressed as Batman, to visit the kids who got shot in the hospital. 
I get what you’re saying here.  You’re trying to get something good to come out of something bad, but, honestly, I think a fully Batmanned Christian Bale visiting the kids who were shot at a Batman movie is about as good of an idea as putting up a poster of “Scenic Vietnam” in the PTSD ward of the Veterans' hospital.  Also, I kind of hate all of the posts that try to blackmail someone into doing something.  “You have the opportunity to be a real hero, Mr. Bale” rings with the same dissonance as “if you love Jesus, you’ll repost; if you love Satan, you’ll keep scrolling.”  

Pictures of Batman with an assortment of “In Memoriam” things
I generally dislike the ribbon movement.  I’m not going to lie.  They kind of scream “LOOK AT ME!  LOOK AT HOW FREAKING MUCH I CARE!!  I AM SUCH A GOOD PERSON FOR HOW MUCH I CARE.”  I’m not saying I’ve never displayed one, but there’s a tendency when the least a person can do is the also the most visible way for them to do it, it becomes the only thing that person does.  I can’t emphasize enough that this doesn’t apply to everyone.  I’ve seen many a friend who posts an awareness ribbon who also raises serious money for the same cause.  I’m just saying that they tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

In this case, I know that some of you are just looking for a security blanket, a symbol to make you feel better about the event, but I feel that including Batman creates two problems.  One, and I can’t quite explain why, creating a mascot trivializes the event.  For the same reason we don’t have “Tradey, the Ground Zero Bear”, we don’t put the Bat symbol on a memorial sign.  Also, putting Batman on the memorial signs seemingly imbues the property with responsibility.  This had nothing to do with Batman, with DC Comics, Bob Kane, or the movie industry.  It had everything to do with a man who had no respect for the sanctity of life.  When we reflect the incident away from that, we are doing a disservice to the people who were a part of this tragedy.

And Finally,

“The world is going to hell/No one is safe anymore/Fear, Fear, Fear”
Guys, it’s always been this crazy.  Hell, it’s been worse.  Anyone who lived in the Old West could tell you that.  When we allow fear to take over, we castrate our ability to live full lives.  If every person took the time to say, “I am not afraid”, then we’d be the ones in power.  There would be no more terrorists.  There would still be bombers now and then, shooters, but no terrorists, because terrorists imply fear and we don’t deal in fear.  Fear is an abstract concept.  We walk down the streets because we can and nothing can stop us because we can’t be stopped by abstract concepts.  It’s not because we are American, because it’s so much more than that.  It’s because we’re human and humans are brave.  It’s because we contain within us an irrepressible fire that cannot be quenched.  So don’t say that you’re not going to the cinema this weekend because of Aurora.  You’re better than that.  Say that you are going and no one will stop you because you want that man with a gun to fail.  And he will fail.  He already has.  My friends just got their tickets this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment